In researching for a project about the family matriarch, I came across this artical about working mothers. I've already made a personal decision to finish my degree before I even consider starting my family, which will eventually happen. However, I secretly desire a successful career but don't know how I would balance not only the time constraints, but the societal implications that it has, I have found, called the "mommy wars." Because I am a judgy person sometimes, all the time, and have this same conversation with a mother that I work with. Someday I want to be her. Here is what another working mother says. I thought it was blogg worthy and kind of funny, especially the last page.
I just don't want to feel like I just settled or went to school for nothing. But at the same time I have this internal fight with myself that I might be cheating my kids. But going to advertsing agencies and seeing the different cultures, I know it can work for mothers. One lady at ESDrake was sleeping on the floor taking a nap in her office. At another agency, the only thing in one woman's office was a sticky note with her phone number where she could be reached while she was taking her kids to school/working at home that day. Mostly, right now I'm just bewildered that the women around me are giving up school altogether to be stay-at-home moms when their husbands are still going. I figure they could at least finish while they are waiting for their husbands.
I was hesitant to publish this post because it might offend someone but its MY blog and my opinion. I don't care about anyone's decision-that's your business, it's just something I am working out in my crazy head.
3 comments:
You know, you might be able to work from your home once you get your degree and after you start your family. You are smart and capable. Make sure you consider what is listed in your patriarcal blessing, if there is anyting there. God does allow you your agency, but you know yourself that every decision carries a consequence that we may not realize.
Good for you! There's no reason you have to give up your dreams -- you can have a fulfilling career and a happy family. It just means your husband is going to have to be an equal partner, and not expect you, as the mother, to take care of everything kid-related.
Good luck!
-Michelle
I have the same internal fight as you!! Why did i suffer through 5 years of school just so i can stay at home!!! I loved the article and good for you for being so bold!!!
Post a Comment