Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Love You Dad!!!


My father is an amazingly important role model for me. My father, a strong yet sensitive man, has always been actively engaged in my life. He is loving, supportive, encouraging, protective, honorable and has a unique ability to inspire me.

I believe that what a father teaches his daughter will serve her for a lifetime. But it's those unspoken lessons that I observed while watching my dad that are more impactful than any words or lectures he gave me.

And as I navigate my life, I often laugh at the many 'like father, like daughter' moments. I certainly am my father's daughter.

So this Father's Day, I want to share the life lessons my father taught me while growing up Texas.

Work Hard

My dad is our go-to plumber, light bulb changer, exterminator, gardener, painter, and fix-it man.

My dad has shown me that there is no substitute for a good work ethic. And while it’s hard to push yourself day in and day out, Dad taught me that if you work hard, you will be OK - no matter what happens. He showed me, hard work, determination and a little bit of luck will get you anywhere you want to go.

It's OK to Splurge Sometimes

Of course, my dad has taught me to save wherever I can. He’s taught me to live within my means. And to not spend money I don't have. But he also taught me to learn what I love and allocate money to spend on it. To buy things that will last, and to go on dates with your spouse and kids. If dad says it's OK, it must be.

Be Tough

My dad is certainly not a pacifist, and he does not let people walk all over him. Through his pride and his honor, he taught me to stand up for myself whenever I encounter something unjust. He helped to infuse my self-esteem and taught me to speak my mind, while also diplomatically picking my battles. And though it’s often hard, and out of my innate character to be defensive, I am so grateful for the strength he’s instilled in me.

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff

And most of it is small stuff. Through example, Dad is always there to remind me what’s important in life: health, family and relationships.

Forgive, and Move On

Correspondingly, he’s taught me to forgive my friends, my family and myself. We are all human. All of us slip sometimes and make mistakes. Holding grudges and harping on the past only prevents us from enjoying life to the fullest.

Be Generous

My parents always gave to church and charity, supported non-profits, and made sure that we were exposed to people who don't have as much. Believe in the cause of donating. When you give, don’t just give in order to get recognition, or a tax write-off. Give just to help and don’t expect anything in return.

You Can Always Talk to Dad

Since I was little, my father always made sure I knew that I could talk to him about anything. As a young girl, sometimes it was easier to go to Mom with stuff, but he always stayed involved. He held interviews with us to outline goals and plans for our future. Even though I didn't really understand them at the time. I look back and I'm just glad he took those times to get to know me and let me talk. I know that he will try to help me as best as he can, always ready with honest answers and nonjudgmental feedback.

Family Comes First

My dad’s first priority is his family. Everything he does and every thought he has is for our well-being. He keeps the family close through Family Home Evening every Monday, even if I have to turn a date away at the door because I forgot. Or nightly scripture reading, even if someone blows up. Night Out with Dad, even if it's something he doesn't really like; like a loud concert.

In turn, I have been able to carry that sort of warmth and sincerity into my other relationships so that I am a true friend, and the people closest to me know how much I care about them. My dad makes sure I never need to question his love for me. And today, I hope there’s no doubt in his mind that his daughter loves him, too.

1 comment:

David Arnett said...

I love your blog and the honor that you have given me. It has been great to be your father. I consider you one of God's great daughters and it was a previlege having such a great spirit in my home.