Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sweet Sweet Victory

About a week and a half ago we walked into yet another disaster at the Resort. It's never boring here. The A/C had leaked all summer long and the drywall below, in the lobby finally gave way. A light fixture was hanging by the ground wire. Luckily there was no damage to the fixture, just the ceiling above. But we still hung our heads not knowing what to do.

You never really know the impact someone has until they are gone. Chris' dad rebuilt their bathroom for his mom a few years ago. They did everything themselves and it is one of the nicest bathrooms I've seen. Every detail went into it and both Ben and Rebecca helped. Because of that experience, Dan taught Ben the valuable skill of how to install drywall. Ben showed us what his Dad did and we fixed the hole in the ceiling all by ourselves. Sometimes I wonder how we would go on without him but this experience has shown me that he taught his sons skills and molded them to succeed on their own.  I'm really proud of Chris every time we finish a project because it usually involves us sitting there in a stupor not knowing what to do until someone comes along, or something happens that helps us fix that problem. Most of the time Dan's lessons are incorporated. Like when a corner of the new drywall piece was sagging and there was no stud to screw it into. Chris used a piece of wood and drilled a corner of the new piece of the drywall to the wood, and then drilled the old drywall into that piece of wood, and it held! None of us thought it was going to work but we didn't understand what he meant. When he was done both Ben and I were very impressed.

Today we will texture and paint and it will be all done. Luckily, I'm not to shabby in that area. Thank you high school art classes.

I just REALLY hope we don't have to repair something that big again. We ended up putting in almost a 4x4 foot piece and that sucker was HEAVY. Trying to match the hole and make it square was A LOT harder than I thought it would be.

Besides that, everything is good, things are slow so there is a lot of time for projects. And planning what I'll get Josh for Christmas. I want to make him feel special but keep it within reason. I also know he will be coming home 2 months after so nearly everything fits in an envelope and I'll send him one thing for every day in December. You can see just about everything on my pinterest page. Let me know if anyone else can think of something to send in an envelope. My friend Kelly's son was sent to Argentina so she was trying to find light weight gifts to send as well.

No comments: