Thursday, January 17, 2013

Just So You Know.

So I was asked to be the Ward Camp Director!! I have big shoes to fill with my mom being the BEST camp leader ever. All those chants she came up with at 5am and the Bat Cave, yes, she built a bat cave!! The year the theme was Super Heroes, we were the Bat Chicks and we went all out. Everyone that came to our site had to sign it and walk through it. It even had a fake computer, a phone, some pretty great details. Others heard about it and I'm pretty sure that by the end of the week everyone had come by to check it out.

The best part is that it's just our ward which includes 20 girls. No one knows anything so it's a clean slate to work with. I have so many ideas but we don't have a theme that I know of yet. We're going to a camp that's really fancy, it takes 5 YEARS to reserve to get in!! Crazy right?! There are cabins with a/c, not tents. Although I will always be grateful that my dad set us up right for the Louisiana heat. We went up to camp the day before and set everything up. We spread ant killer under our tents and a few feet around it. And my mom's tent had a huge fan with a marine battery. There are real toilets and no latrines. We will be spoiled. And I get to be a leader and we have our own cabin. I'm super nervous but really excited.

I went to lunch with my friend Kelly whose going to Camp and talked details. She was the one that introduced me to these amazing Steak tacos and I splurged and got a Dr. Pepper. Ah, haven't had any for nearly 2 months. I've done really well without the soda. It's now really easy not to drink it once you finally kick the habit. We have an all out soda fountain and I have no desire for it :) High fives all around. We talked about a lot of stuff. She has had a really hard life and you would never even know it. She's happy and bubbly. All the deep stuff she talks about comes off so sincere and inspirational. When I try to say deep things I feel fake and like I'm lame. I feel really grateful that I have a friend like her. I keep thinking I need to make her cookies or something to make her feel as good as I do. But my cookies didn't turn out as amazing as they used to. My oven is slowly dying. It took SO long to boil water because Half the burner died. if that's possible. I turned it on high and spots were red, and spots were black. Oh that spark and flame must have done something to it... So my cookies are burned on part of the pan and fine on half. Weird huh?

Something else random is an awesome way to cook bacon which you probably already knew. Cook it in the oven! I line a pan with foil and set the timer for 15 minutes. No mess! No gross pot with grease to throw out. With the foil, I just throw it away. Luckily my kitchen is FREEZING so it cools off fast. My kitchen apparently has no insulation. Our pipes freeze every day in a new spot so we have a portable heater. This place is cursed. Or haunted. I got these purple plates from my mom and they are perfect for most of the stuff we eat. But they keep shattering for no reason. The other day I was vindicated. Chris saw it happen for himself. This was the 4th plate that has randomly broke into pieces. The first time I put it from the dishwasher to the cabinet and I thought it was just a temperature thing. It was still a little hot. I closed the cabinet door and heard it a few minutes later. This time it was upstairs by the computer. No temp change, just randomly. His reaction was "you weren't kidding!!" So now we have 4 left. I have to say it's one of the best things my mom has given us. We will be talking about the possessed plates for years.

No comments: